Hair Structure and Chemistry Simplified, Fifth Edition is the most current, comprehensive and straightforward textbook of its kind. This new edition thoroughly explains the theory and application of the essential concepts of hair chemistry that are simply not covered in other texts. Material unique to this text boldly presents the concept, importance and relevance of pH in cosmetics. Hair Structure and Chemistry Simplified is the essential chemistry textbook for cosmetology students and even the most experienced hairstylist will gain confidence and control as they learn the dynamics of the chemical services they perform everyday in the salon. Consumers will find this reference invaluable in making intelligent, informed decisions about the effectiveness, safety, and value of the hair care services they receive and the products they buy and use.
Author: John Halal
- Provides new information that will help readers select the right product, from the flood of new products that were not available just a few short years ago.
- Includes new information on the importance of the hair’s ‘f-layer” that covers the surface of the hair with the fatty acid 18 methyl eicosanoic acid (18MEA).
- New information and photos detail hydrothermal and deep ovoidal cracks in the cuticle caused by thermal styling wet hair with hairdryers and hot irons.
- Discusses new research confirming dandruff is the result of a fungus originally named pityrosporum and recently reclassified as malassezia.
- Numerous photographs, drawings and line art have been updated providing clearer images and stronger illustrations.
- Includes new artwork that improves the visual representation of essential ideas.
- Section on emulsions and surfactants explains the dynamics of surface tension and distinguishes between the hydrophobic and hydrophilic properties essential for all emulsions.
- Provides advanced information on multiple phase and micro emulsions (liposomes and nanospheres).
- Includes key information on the dangers of exposure to ultra-violet light and the explanation of sunscreens, SPF and the new FDA monograph, that details their use.
- Draws attention to the dangers of mixing different chemicals, even those that may seem completely safe.
- This title separates fact from fiction and clears up the confusion surrounding various chemistry formulas, symbols, obsolete methods, and exaggerated marketing claims.
- Takes a direct approach to learning chemistry in order to alleviate any apprehension and empower the reader to help them determine the effectiveness, safety, and value of beauty services and products.
- Science and Cosmetology
- The Structure of Life
- The Structure of Skin
- Understanding Skin Disease
- The Growth and Structure of Hair
- The Properties of Hair
- General Chemistry
- Advanced Chemistry
- Shampoos, Conditioners, and Styling Aids
- Color and Hair Lightening
- Permanent Waving
- Chemical Hair Relaxers and Soft Curl
- Salon Health and Safety
304 pp., 8″ x 9¼”, Softcover, ©2009
List Price: $106.95 USD
- Detailed, interactive exercises
- Reinforce learning Increase student comprehension
List Price: $56.95 USD
- Chapter-by-chapter multiple choice questions
- Includes answer key
List Price: $44.95 USD