Inviting in a guest speaker can be a great teaching tool for the classroom, however, it is important to remember that it does not reduce or eliminate our responsibility to be present and participate in the guest speaker’s presentation. We must lay the proper groundwork before the presentation or it may cause more harm than good. Here is a list of tips for getting the most from your guest speakers:
- Conduct a preliminary meeting with the guest speaker. This allows you to lay the ground rules for the speaker’s presentation.
- Establish the time frame for the presentation.
- Determine the objectives of the presentation.
- Ask for an outline of the presentation prior to the scheduled event.
- Provide tips on how to get learners involved with the presentation, if necessary.
- Prepare your students by letting them know who is coming to speak, the topic and expectations for behavior.
- Be prepared to take control of the class, if necessary.
- Be an attentive listener during the presentation.
- Be prepared to close the class with a summary of the information and review questions which will reinforce the learners’ retention of the material.