Looking back over the blog posts for the last few years, I’ve written about using music in our schools multiple times.
I believe that music is instrumental in creating a successful school environment. Music helps create a positive atmosphere, aid in retention and improve memory. It can boost intelligence, help release learner tension and quite simply, it can add an element of fun to your classroom.
Last week I asked the Milady Instructor Facebook group for ideas on updating my classroom playlist. I got some great suggestions and wanted to share with you all.
- Kym Smith suggested “That’s The Way (I Like It)” by KC & The Sunshine Band.
- Constance Snyder said that “Uptown Funk” by Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars is a must-have!
- Melea Osburn, a former Milady N.F. Cimaglia Educator of the Year, said she plays “Rise” by Superfruit. She plays it at the beginning of class to set the tone for the day.
- Caitlin Stublaski says that anything by Vitamin String Quartet is great to play when students are studying.
- Michael Macdonald says “Legends Never Die” helps his students see that going through difficult times will only make them stronger.
- Keryl Reid-Rabideau suggested “We are the Champions.” I must agree, no playlist would be complete without Queen.
- Ian Campos wanted to make sure that I include “Hair Up” from the soundtrack “Trolls” by Justin Timberlake. Certainly a great song to play when students are practicing updos!
- Ann Hunter said we can’t leave off Katy Perry’s “Roar.”
- Curley Miller recommended “Perm” by Bruno Mars! Now, I don’t know what rock I’ve been under, but I have missed this song. I’m so glad she shared. It is a must-add for me. Hot comb hot!
- Lauren Sciarratta shared a great idea. She creates playlists for different tasks. For example, when practicing the French twist, she will play “Twist and Shout,” “The Twist” and “Twisting the Night Away.” When working with color, she has songs with a color in the title, such as “Purple Rain,” “Orange Crush” and “Yellow Submarine.” What a fun idea!
- Ida McLean shared copies of her playlists. I’m sharing some of the ones that stood out to me. “Black Horse and the Cherry Tree” by KT Tunstal, “Bust a Move” by Young MC, “Glamorous” by Fergie featuring Ludacris and “Love Shack” by The B-52’s.
One suggestion is to always go with the clean versions of these songs.
Thanks to everyone for all their suggestions!